He Wants the Hatchback, but I Want the SUV.
I love the 2020 Mazda CX-30 and my husband loves the 2020 Mazda 3 hatchback. But which one is the better family car pick? Let’s compare the two since they’re similar, but they’re not quite the same. The styling is similar in the front, but the Mazda 3 sits a bit lower and it’s eye-catching in the hatchback silhouette. The CX-30 is a well-equipped SUV though, so don’t let it fool you!
Styling, Fuel efficiency, Space, Performance, and Pricing
With the power and performance matching up with the same 186 horsepower and a combined 27 mpg fuel efficiency, deciding comes down to a few factors. Pricing for the Mazda 3: $31,470 and Mazda CX-30: $31,570 shows it could come down to a $100 difference.
But what else should we consider? The CX-30 may weigh more than the Mazda 3, but it has more space and 1 more mpg for city driving at 25 mpg. Although you’re not taking the CX-30 on the track, it excels for those fun-filled family trips and normal day-to-day activities like grocery store or mall runs.
If you’re like me, moms can agree that while performance is important, we’re looking for something different than what our spouse is looking for a vehicle. (The Mazda 3 is track worthy, but do we really need that?) We know what is necessary for everyday activities in a family car. And we need our space.
Related: 2020 World Car of the Year Award Winners: Mazda 3 takes Top Design Award, Kia Telluride Wins Car of the Year, Kia Soul Named World Urban Car and Porsche Taycan Sweeps Luxury, Performance
What We Loved
- The fuel efficiency is similar on both the Mazda 3 hatchback (27 combined MPG/24 city/32 highway) and the Mazda CX-30 (27 combined MPG/25 city/32 highway).
- The price is comparable and affordable given what you’re getting in performance, technology, and fuel efficiency.
- Gorgeous interior options to customize your Mazda with the perfect leather seating and exterior combo.
- The Mazda CX-30 lift gate is easy to use when you’re running errands and loading things.
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- LED Daytime running lights
- LED Headlights and taillights
Everything You’ll Love Inside
- Every car needs ample charging, especially wireless charging where your phone doesn’t move.
- Keyless entry and a smart key – with your key in your pocket tap the door handle to lock or unlock the door
- Rain-sensing windshield wipers
- 12-Speaker Bose sound system
- Heated front seats
- Smart brake support system uses sensors to pre-brake in heavy traffic conditions
- Blind spot monitoring system
- Dual-zone auto climate control
Long Live the SUV
I’m the mom, and since women make the family car purchasing decisions here, ultimately, the 2020 Mazda CX-30 is the winning family car pick. If you have one kid in a car seat or two kids out of car seats, the Mazda 3 is definitely a doable option, but it might be best suited to a couple or a family with one child. It was fun to drive, so let me tell you, this was not a simple decision.
What really moved me to vote for the Mazda CX-30 materialized when I thought about space and everything we need to do and bring along our adventures. With the space to hold everyone plus ample cargo space, a hands-free lift gate, ample charging, and better MPG in the city, it’s a no-brainer to choose what fits your family with an active lifestyle.
Disclosure: Mazda provided the Mazda 3 and the Mazda CX-30 for this comparison. All opinions are my own.