There will be no hangry episodes on your road trip when you pack all your favorite travel-friendly snacks!
We all enjoy a good road trip across the country. Having the ultimate snack list helps make packing a breeze.
Whether you are going on a long road trip or a short day trip across town, it’s always best to pack plenty of snacks. No one enjoys going on a fun road trip only to have it ruined by a hangry family member. A few goodies can go a long way.
The best travel foods are convenient, bite-size, satisfying, and somewhat nutritious. These snacks are all family-friendly, so no matter the age of the traveler, everyone will enjoy them. They should be easy to eat in the car and mess-free—and having a cooler to keep things fresh won’t hurt!
Healthy travel snacks
- Apple sauce or apple slices
- Celery slices and peanut butter dip
- Pretzels and hummus
- Veggies straws
- Nuts – pistachios, almonds, peanuts
- Granola bars
Sitting in the car for a long extended can be boring and everyone in the car at times will need an energy boost.
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Cheese slices
- Beef Jerky
- Energy bars
- Energy drinks (for adults only)
Meals on the go
Eating out while driving to your destination can add up, and packing lunches in the cooler saves you money. When packing your cooler, make sure the meals for that day are on top, making it easy to find.
- Cheese quesadillas
- Ham & turkey pinwheels
- Pepperoni & cheese slices
- Peanut butter and jelly sandwich
- Fruit salad
- Chips and guacamole (the individually-portioned guacamole is best for staying fresh on a trip)
- Breakfast muffins
- Milk, juice, and iced coffee
Snacks to satisfy the sweet tooth
Let’s be honest, part of the road trip fun is getting to eat dessert! Packing a few sweet treats will help you not be tempted to purchase something each time you stop at a convenience store.
- Cinnamon apple chips
- Chocolate covered almonds
- Homemade cookies
- Gummy bears
- Mini size chocolate bars.
- Packing snacks and meals into portion-sized baggies before the trip makes snacking much more convenient and a lot less mess.
- Instead of having to pack cases of water, everyone gets a reusable water bottle to use on the trip. Can refill with gallons of water we bring or refill at gas stations.
I pack a small container that has everything we need to clean up after eating. These items stay with the snack bag.
- Roll of paper towels
- Wet wipes for dirty hands
- Hand sanitizer
- Plastic bags for trash
- Baggies for any leftovers
Now that you have a list of the ultimate travel snacks to pack, you are ready to plan your next road trip!