Meet the luxury coupe that blew me away!
I’ve driven quite a few cars over the last few years and to be honest, I am not always blown away. But I was when I drove the 7th generation E-Class coupe, the new 2018 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe. This was my first time driving a Mercedes-Benz, so I had no idea what to expect. Going into it, I knew it would be a nice two door car, but what I hadn’t realized was how advanced the technology would be or how gorgeous this car would be.
2018 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe: Luxury is standard
When you buy an E-Class luxury coupe from Mercedes-Benz there are certain standard features that come in every vehicle, like the panoramic sunroof, 12.3-inch high-resolution COMAND display with integrated Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, navigation, brake assist, leather, and 18″ wheels. Like all models in the E-Class lineup, this coupe is larger and has more standard features than the C-class, many approaching the ultimate S-Class level.
Advanced technology that will even stop the car if it senses the driver isn’t responding
One of the things about the 2018 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe that I enjoyed the most was the incredible technology. At first I was a little overwhelmed by it, but the more I drove it the more fun it was to put all of it into use. Some of the technology is safety related, but other features are just to give you a luxurious driving experience. Here are some of my favorite tech features:
- Active lane change assist will check to see if you should change lanes and then does it for you.
- Emergency stop assist can detect that there is no interaction with the steering wheel. If there is no interaction the car will slow down to a stop and turn on flashers.
- Custom lumbar support allows you to choose how much support you need and where on your back you need it. Both the driver and the passenger seats have customizable lumbar support. As someone who has a bad back, I have a high appreciation for adequate lumbar support.
- Magic vision control makes sure the wiper blade always delivers washer fluid directly in front of the wiping edge, via the water feed line integrated into the blade – and it does this in both wiping directions. The result is that there is no surge of water when fluid is sprayed. The wiper blades are heated at low temperatures to prevent snow or ice from sticking in winter.
- Massaging seats give you and your passenger a massage while you drive. You can pick out what kind of massage you want and how intense you want the massage to be.
- Pre-safe sound triggers a muscle in your ear to protect you from the sounds of a crash, engaging only in the event a crash happens.
I had so much fun driving around the all new 2018 @mbusa E-Class Coupe in #canada this week. My favorite feature is the Active Emergency Stop Assist. The massaging seats were nice too! #mbpressdrive Boots: @justfabonline Jeans: @Dkny Shirt: @skiesareblueclothing Jacket: @justusajeans Earrings: @kendrascott
Luxury Style, Inside and Out
From the pictures hopefully you can tell just how good looking this car is. Up front, it has a unique diamond front grill and aggressive looking front air intakes.
Throughout the body there are no creases, giving it a calm, clean design. It is an inch higher off the ground than its predecessor, and overall it’s a little larger: 4.8 inches longer, 2.9 inches wider, and 1.5 inches taller.
The larger size means that inside they have managed to add an inch of shoulder room and 2 inches of legroom. This makes the Coupe comfortable for four adults. There is no middle seat in the back row, which means you can only sit 4 people in the vehicle.
The inside is more beautiful than the outside in my opinion
There’s a 12.3 inch screen along with a touch-pad controller allowing easy control of the command center. The dashboard has detailed stitching and turbine inspired air vents that add nicely to the overall look.
Other need-to-know details
- 3.0L V6 biturbo engine equipped with ECO Start/Stop
- 329 hp and 354 lb-ft of torque
- 0-60 in 5.2 seconds; governed top speed of 130 mph
- 9-speed automatic transmission
- Optional AIR BODY CONTROL suspension, including all-round roll/pitch/heave stabilization (The model I drove had this and I liked it. I would recommend getting this.)
What this car costs
- E400 Coupe $58,900
- E400 4MATIC Coupe $61,400
Who this car is for
- Single drivers or couples
- Buyers who want a luxury coupe
- Car lovers who are driven by design
- Buyers who want a performance coupe
- Drivers who value a sporty driving experience
- Buyers who want cutting edge safety technology
- Teen drivers who benefit from Intelligent Drive technology
It’s easy to see why 1 out of 4 vehicles sold over $100,000 are a Mercedes-Benz. I’ve added this car to my list of dream cars!
Disclosure: I was a guest of Mercedes-Benz for this test drive; travel and accommodations were provided. All opinions expressed here are my own.