Clean lines, contrast stitching, Alcantara suede, supple leather … it all sounds a lot like a luxe handbag, doesn’t it?
Just like that high-end purse you didn’t know you needed, s ios the Mercedes-Benz Lifestyle Coupe, the 2020 CLA 250. The design refresh and bold new colors, like this Damin Blue, which I adore, makes you feel a little extra. Mercedes-Benz calls this sedan with four doors and seating for five a coupe. And while the term ‘coupe’ is usually reserved for sleek-lined two-door cars, this sedan has the sexy sloped roofline of a coupe, so we’ll accept the terminology here simply because we love the look and drive in this sleek Mercedes-Benz.
The Interior is Loaded with Beautiful Surfaces
The black leather and Alcantara (a soft, suede-like microfiber) with red contrast stitching throughout the interior are what reminded me of some of my favorite luxury handbags – an interior beauty and function that matches the high-end design of the exterior.
The ambient lighting shows off the European design of the interior finishes just perfectly with light inlaid on the door handles and headrests, and all along the front dashboard and even at your feet all throughout the car.
Aluminum finish door handles, speakers and steering wheel spokes have a look of shine and maybe a touch of glitter. The 2020 Mercedes-Benz CLA 250 just shines.
The Clean Exterior Design Lines Do Not Disappoint
The design language is all Mercedes-Benz, from the beautiful grille, large MB badge and a wide front stance that gives it that capable, competitive look. The oversized sunroof that opens is one of my favorite interior features in any car. I love to be able to let the fresh air and sunlight in on cool Spring days!
Related: Need a Family Sized Car? The Mercedes-Benz GLS 450 Luxury SUV: A Luxe Cocoon For You And Your Crew
Some Fun Features I Captured on Instagram Stories:
Technology is Front and Center in the 2020 Mercedes-Benz CLA 250
The massive 20.5″ screen in the CLA 250 displays both the instrument cluster (10.25″) as well as the infotainment screen (10.25″). It’s a touchscreen, but you can also control everything from either the steering wheel controls or the touchpad on the center console.
The MBUX (Mercedes-Benz User Experience) system actually responds to your voice commands. All you have to do is say “Hey Mercedes” and the car will ask you how ‘she’ can help you. I asked her to turn on the seat heaters and adjust the temperature in the car while driving. You can also make calls, use navigation and change settings with MBUX.
Advanced Safety Features Cost Extra
While most advanced features cost extra, the basics like active brake assist, one-touch emergency calling and rain-sensing and heated windshield washer systems are included in the base model.
To get the advanced safety features, you must purchase the Intelligent Drive package (CAD $1900) which includes
- Active steering assist
- Evasive steering assist
- Active brake assist with cross-traffic function
- Active emergency stop assist
- Active speed limit assist
- Active lane-keeping assist
- Active blind spot assist
- Active lane change assist
- PRE-SAFE, PRE-SAFE PLUS, PRE-SAFE sound
- Enhanced Stop-and-Go
- Route-based speed adaptation
What the Mercedes-Benz 2020 CLA 250 Costs
Starting price is USD $36,650/CAD $43,000. In Canada, AWD is standard, in the US it’s an extra $2000.
Night Package = CAD $600 for black exterior gloss accents and 19″ wheels as shown
Technology package = CAD $1,600 adds adaptive cruise with stop + go, automatic high beams and multibeam headlights that move with your turns.
Premium package = CAD $3000 adds
- 10.25-inch touchscreen center media display + 10.25-inch digital instrument cluster display
- Auto-dimming driver-side and inside rearview mirrors
- Power-folding side mirrors
- 64-colour LED ambient lighting with illuminated vents
- Blind Spot Assist
- Vehicle Exit Warning
- Foot-activated trunk release
- Inductive wireless charging with NFC pairing
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
The Safety (Intelligent Drive Package) package is described above.
Active parking assist will set you back CAD $900 and a 360 Camera is CAD $650. Navigation is an additional $1000 and a multifunction sports steering wheel is $250.
After all these features have been added, the car as driven was CAD $55,340. A similar build in the US would be $49,830, where the packages and feature additions are packaged in a different way.
What We Loved in the Mercedes-Benz CLA 250
- The giant screen that doubles as an instrument cluster and infotainment system
- The amazing technology in this car including the multiple controls and MBUX
- 4 Drive modes: Four modes vary shift points, throttle response, steering feel and more: easygoing ECO, cool-headed Comfort, sharpened Sport, and make-your-own Individual.
- A smartphone app to start, lock and schedule maintenance appointments at your fingertips
- Most of all, the gorgeously appointed interior
What You Need to Know
- Fuel mileage is not bad at 15.1 L/100 KM (35.5 MPG) which is what I averaged over 322 KM driven. (Not reported officially on Mercedes website yet)
- All-wheel-drive is an option in the USA, standard in Canada
- WIFI hotspot is available for a monthly subscription
What I listened to in this classic luxury beauty: A Happy playlist!:
As you can see from the interior photos, the luxury handbag comparison works here – the look, touch, and feel of the leather, Alcantara suede, red contrast stitching and perforated leather accents on the hard surfaces are simply classic and beautiful. Add the technology and the striking ambient lighting, you have a 21st-century high-design car that you didn’t know you needed in your life!
Disclosure: The Mercedes-Benz 2020 CLA 250 was provided by Mercedes-Benz Canada to facilitate this post. All opinions are my own.