Give your idea of a ‘mom car’ a makeover with the luxurious 2022 Acura MDX.
This luxury machine takes the best of a minivan and puts it in a sharp-looking SUV that will stand out in the crowd so that you can have the very best of a minivan without compromising on aesthetic. Which isn’t to say there’s anything wrong with minivans (I mean, have you seen how gorgeous minivans are now?)—but sometimes you just want something that looks a little sharper, handles a little better, and still has space for your family’s needs.
Enter: The 2022 Acura MDX. This bad boy nabs some of the best features from minivans, like the technology that keeps your family connected on the road, and puts it in the sporty, reliable body of an SUV you trust and a luxury brand that you love.
Itching to Know More?
We don’t blame you. Thankfully, our wonderful Scotty Reiss is here with a great video that’s been embedded below. She’ll run you through the specs you need to know and all of the gorgeous features that are really going to wow you and kick your driving experience up a notch.
We’ll also summarize the key points for easy reference.
There are so many great technology features in this car that it’s enough to fall in love with before you even drive it. There are features like:
- Social Playlist, which allows everyone in the car to contribute songs to what the family is listening to
- Cabin talk, which enables you to communicate directly to rear-seat passengers
- An app that allows passengers to control volume, climate, music, navigation, and even the sunroof
- 16-speaker 3D sound system
- Wireless charging pad in the command center
- Built-in Amazon Alexa, Siri
- WiFi hotspot capable
- Wireless Apple CarPlay/Android Auto
- Bluetooth and AUX cord
- First Row: 2 USB, 1 USB-C, 1 120V socket
- Second Row: 2 USB, 1 USB-C, 1 120V socket
- Third Row: none on this trim; you’ll have to upgrade to the Technology Package for 2 USB charging ports
- One 120V socket in cargo space
- Ambient LED lighting that changes based on which drive mode you’re in
- 12.3-inch touch screen and fully-digital dashboard cluster
These are all features that will totally change your drive experience. It makes such a difference to speak to your kiddo in the third row without having to raise your voice, or to let the teens in the second row control the music and air conditioning. Once you get a taste of these luxury features, you’ll be hard-pressed to return to the past.
And that’s not taking into consideration the space. With three rows, you’ll have a place for every member of the family—and there’s still 18.1 cubic feet behind the third row! You also have the option to fold down the second or third rows together or individually to provide more leg room or cargo for anyone in the back.
Things To Know
- Base price for the Acura MDX: $46,900
- Starting price for the Acura MDX A-Spec we drove: $57,100
- Other trim levels: Technology Package ($51,600 FWD / $53,600 AWD), Advance Package ($60,650)
- All-wheel drive
- 3.5-liter V6 engine
- 290 horsepower, 267 lb-ft of torque
- 10-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters
- 5,000-lb towing capacity
- 19 mpg city / 25 mpg highway / 21 mpg combined
- Panoramic moonroof
- Heated and ventilated front seats
- Multi-functional second row with removable middle seat
- Built-in Amazon Alexa
- Bluetooth capable, wireless Apple CarPlay/Android Auto
- Wireless charging pad
- Safety and driver assistance features standard on all trims
- Can seat seven, but the third row is a little cramped for taller folks
Who Is This SUV For?
- Moms who want something sportier than the standard minivan
- Former minivan moms who still need space—but not quite as much
- Long-distance road trippers who travel with larger groups of people
- Anyone who wants the functionality of an SUV but who want that extra luxury and technology
And anyone who loves a minivan but needs an SUV (yes, looking good and feeling powerful are a need!) and demands the best of both worlds.
Disclosure: Acura provided the MDX for this review; all opinions are my own.