The 2020 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XSE could be the money-saving family car you’ve been looking for.
A true five-seater, this hybrid full-size sedan that’s visually appealing. What’s not to love about the 2020 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XSE. It is an elegant 4-door sedan tipping closely to the edge of luxury. The size of the interior cabin is big enough for a family – even with child safety seats installed in either of the outboard seating with LATCH, there’s enough room for a full-sized adult to comfortably sit. It proved to be a true five-seat family sedan.
Safety is standard, as it should be.
Toyota is known for its reliability and safety. It is the reason why many families choosing full-size sedans prefer their vehicles. Toyota clearly believes its consumer-base deserves a safe vehicle with updated safety features by making a comprehensive suite of active safety tech as standard. These features include:
- automatic emergency braking
- lane-keeping assist
- blind-spot monitoring
- adaptive cruise control
- automatic high beams
- pre-collision with pedestrian detection
Technology and entertainment keeping the whole family rocking
The 14-speaker JBL audio system with subwoofer ensures driver and passengers can rock to the beat of their own tunes whether it is on SiriusXM radio, Apple CarPlay, or Amazon Alexa.
Keeping all devices charged during road trips or long drives is imperative to keeping the peace between children. The Avalon Hybrid XSE ensures that with:
- 4 USB 2.0 connections
- QI-Comp wireless charge system for use by the driver or front-seat passenger
It is ready to handle anything the road throws your way
The Avalon Hybrid XSE is quiet and smooth when switching between the three driving modes: Eco, Normal, and Sport. It performs well when Sport mode is in use with the car revving higher and becoming more nimble when needed. For our road trip warriors, Eco mode will work wonders in helping with your overall fuel consumption. The less money spent on fuel is more money spent on food excursions and souvenirs during your travels.
A hybrid full-size sedan that serves full-size cargo
I remember a time when my husband and I were shopping for a full-sized sedan. We checked out the Ford Fusion Hybrid. We wondered why a dealer would show this vehicle to a family with small children. It lacked the cargo space that a family with small children needed. Unlike the Hybrid Fusion, fitting a stroller, groceries, a bicycle, and/or luggage is possible. We love that even though it’s a hybrid vehicle, it has the same 16 cubic feet of trunk space that a conventional Avalon has.
What we love about the 2020 Toyota Avalon Avalon Hybrid XSE
- Heated front seats
- 8-way power driver and passenger seats
- 14-speaker JBL audio system with subwoofer
- Leather steering wheel adds a touch of luxuriousness
- A true full-size family sedan
- 3 mode switch for driving modes
- Apple CarPlay or Amazon Alexa connectivity options
- The plethora of USB connections
- Adequate cargo space
- Roomy and comfortable rear seating
Who the 2020 Toyota Avalon is for
The look and design of this affordable hybrid full-size sedan are impressive. It doesn’t give off the look of a family car. It has clean lines, it looks sporty, and a bit of edginess to it that make it look attractive and cool. We think the car is suitable for:
- Someone who has a family – 2 kids or fewer – and prefers a sedan
- Single, late 20’s to mid-’30s and needs an everyday car that is fuel-efficient, and has a sporty look
- A commuter or road-tripper who will benefit from the fuel economy of a hybrid vehicle
- Someone who would like to dip their toe in luxury vehicles but without the cost
- A fan of Toyota’s reliability
How much does it cost?
The 2020 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XSE that I test drove had an MSRP of $42,684, which includes the $930 delivery processing and handling fees, as well as $2,404 in optional equipment. Optional equipment installed on the Hybrid XSE I drove are as follows:
- Premium audio – $1,720
- JBL with Clari-Fi
- Dynamic navigation and app suite
- 14 speakers and subwoofer
- 1200W amplifier
- 9” touch screen
- Special Color (Ruby Flare Pearl with Light Gray accents) – $425
- Carpet mat package $295
Learn more about other Avalon trims here: Toyota Avalon Features
This is what We Listened to in the Toyota Avalon Hybrid
And it sounded good coming out of the 14-speaker JBL audio system.
Disclosure: Toyota provided the Avalon XSE Hybrid for review purposes. All opinions are my own.