The 2019 Chevrolet Silverado is a beast of a truck, even when you’re only carting kids.
I have a secret to admit: I had never driven a truck before the 2019 Chevy Silverado was dropped off in my driveway. I didn’t know what to expect. It was HUGE. I knew it would be useful to pick up big items but could it cart all my kids around? Could it work for carpool? Could this Chevy truck really be a family car? The answer is yes!
I was impressed with the luxury and high-tech touches in this Chevy truck. I thought that I’d have to give up extras like power outlets, USB ports, heated seats, and leather seats. Nope! I got all of that in more. Driving this truck made me rethink my misconceptions about trucks. This one can be used for working hard or hardly working. It’s no wonder Chevy has sold more than 85 million trucks since it sold it’s first pickup truck in 1918!
Did you know the 2019 Chevy Silverado can seat six?
Yup! It’s a pick up truck that can fit my whole family. I had no idea that was even possible. Understand though that you wouldn’t want to jam six people in this cab all the time. This is not a minivan, folks. There is seating for 3 in the front thanks to a split bench front seat. There is room for 3 in the 2nd row as well, but legroom is a little scarce. My 5’9″ 12 year old was much more comfortable in the front seat.
Safety Side Note: If you want your kids to ride in the jump seats with you, be sure to check out the laws regarding the age of children who can sit in the front seat in your state. It varies from state to state, but the majority of states don’t allow kids under 7 years old to sit in the front seat of a truck when there is a back seat available.
Who is the 2019 Chevy Silverado for:
- Small families
- People who need cargo space
- Those who need some towing ability
- People who need a vehicle for work and play
- People who don’t need tons of legroom in rear seat
What This Truck Costs:
- Base price, $28,300. This includes rear vision camera, Onstar service capability, 8 inch color touchscreen, tailgate with lift assist, Android Auto/Apple Carplay, and 4G Wi-Fi Hotspot capable.
- Convenience Package, $2,025.00. This includes dual-zone climate control, heated steering wheel, 2nd row USB ports, keyless open and start, and remote vehicle start.
- Convenience Package II, $920.00. This includes Sirius/XM capability, HD rear vision camera, and power sliding rear window.
- Safety Package I, $890.00. Package includes front and rear park assist, lane change alert with side blind zone alert, and rear cross traffic alert.
- Leather package: $760
- Total cost of 2019 Chevy Silverado 4WD LT DBL we reviewed with the above options and more: $49,365
What’s New in the 2019 Chevy Silverado
The 2019 Chevy Silverado has recently been redesigned and is built on a brand-new platform. It is longer and lighter which adds more cab space and helps increase fuel efficiency. They have also added advanced safety features options, new towing technology and new engine and transmission combinations to help create the exact truck you need. Chevy says “the Silverado features a modern, powerful design with a strong dose of Chevy Truck DNA.” And I couldn’t agree more!
What You Need to Know
- Seating for 6, but more comfortable for 4
- Up to 4 USB ports, up to 2 power outlets and 4G Wi-Fi connectivity will keep your digital devices connected
- Improved aerodynamics increases fuel efficiency
- 19 MPG city/22 highway
- Annual fuel costs estimated at $1,900
Key Features of the 2019 Chevy Silverado
1. Better Aerodynamics.
Not only is the front grille super cool looking, it’s functional too. It is designed to reduce aerodynamic drag by routing air around the front wheel wells. The side profile also reduces wind drag from the bed and further enhances aerodynamics. Also, most models feature active aero shutters in the front grille that close to reduce wind drag and open to cool the engine when needed.
2. Strong, large durabed.
While this Chevy truck can be used as a family car, it’s still a pickup truck at heart. Silverado is known for it’s strong, easy to use truck bed. And for 2019, it’s been made even better including:
- The most cargo volume for this size pickup truck: The 2019 Chevy Silverado offers the most cargo volume in every bed length;
- Higher-strength steel floor: The Silverado has a high-strength steel bed floor with yield strength that ius 40% stronger than past models;
- More and stronger tie-downs: 2019 Silverado has 12 fixed tie-downs and 9 moveable tie points for increased flexibility and strength in the truck bed.
3. All new interiors.
I really appreciate how Chevrolet designed every surface ergonomically as well as functionally. They looked at everything from the rotary knob textures to the angle of the infotainment screen. The crew-cab models offer 3 additional inches of rear-seat legroom. I found the impressive 44.5 inches of front legroom to be very comfortable. Rear legroom is calculated at 43.4 inches which is large for a pickup truck, but small compared to full-size minivans and SUVs. They have also added new storage options, including under the seat trays to keep items out of sight of prying eyes.
4. Head Up Display.
The 2019 Chevy Silverado is the first full-size pickup with head-up display. The 3 x 7-inch color display can project critical data right onto the windshield so you can keep your eyes on the road.
5. Surround Vision Camera.
Surround vision is a game changer! It lets you maneuver into those tight parking spots or hitch a trailer with ease. Using four cameras on the car, surround vision gives you a virtual bird’s-eye view on the display screen of the area all around the vehicle.
6. Increased Engine Options.
Over half of the Silverado models are equipped with the brand’s most advanced V-8 engines, including updated versions of Chevrolet’s 5.3L that produces 355 horsepower and a 6.2L that produces 420 horsepower. A new 2.7L 4 cylinder turbo was offered for better MPG; it produces 310 horsepower. And, for diesel fans, Chevy has introduced a new Duramax 3.0L V6 turbo diesel.
7. Dynamic Fuel Management System Keeps Your MPG Optimal
The bottom line of this feature is that it optimizes fuel efficiency and the power of this Chevrolet pickup truck. It is stunning how the system is making a determination 80 times per second to determine how many cylinders are needed to meet the the request for power your foot is asking of the accelerator.
8. 4G LTE Wi-Fi & Connectivity.
Connect away! No burning down your cell phone battery or “wasting” your data. Let the kids (and you) connect to the 4F Wi-Fi in the Silverado. Pair up to seven devices, and with up to four USB ports, you can keep them charged too!
9. myChevrolet Mobile App
Turn your cell phone into a virtual command center using the myChevrolet Mobile App. You’ll get seamless control of your vehicle, even if it’s nowhere in sight. You can start and shut down your vehicle, lock and unlock your doors, activate your car’s horn and lights, send parking reminders and more.
If you need (or want) a truck, yet you still need to carry kids around, the 2019 Chevy Silverado can do the job and you get the best of both worlds. While large families, or those with tall kids, might find the cab a bit cramped, it can definitely work in a pinch. The bonus with the 2019 Chevy Silverado is that driving it makes you feel like one bad MF.