What’s not to love about a car that demands to #KeepVelosterQuirky?
And Hyundai is keeping it quirky. The all-new 2019 Hyundai Veloster and Veloster Turbo have perfected quirky with its complete redesign giving drivers and bystanders a new sports car experience.
Hyundai’s goal is to keep it fun to drive and fun to look at and they’ve excelled on both.
They are also keeping it safe with a bevy of new safety features and appealing to the geeks in all of us by packing it up with loads of tech.
Who This Is For
- Sports car enthusiasts
- Buyers who love quirky cars
- Singles who occassionaly need room for back seat passengers
What This Car Costs
- 2.0 Base Model: $18,500
- 2.0 Premium: $22,750
- Turbo R-Spec: $22,900
- Turbo: $25,400
- Turbo Ultimate: $26,650
A New Shape for 2019 & Beyond
Hyundai took the first generation Veloster and gave it a complete redesign. They’ve kept the additional side rear door on the passenger side of the car giving the car two different looks. From the driver’s side you see only the front driver door, but from the passenger side, there is a front passenger and rear passenger door.
Although they kept the quirky three-door configuration (two on the passenger side and one on the driver’s side), the new shape is truly cool sports car style. The lines of the car carry the eye from front to back and showcases a lowered roofline and sloping back.
The appealing shape and style on the outside carry through to the inside providing a driver-friendly layout and the Turbo Ultimate trim offers up a contrasting color on the interior that makes the Veloster much more fun to drive.
I believe the inside of a car should be as much fun as the outside and the Veloster Turbo Ultimate has that option.
Because Tech Is The Way To Your New-Car Heart
We live in a connected world. We are on our smartphones almost 24/7 and have our fingers on the pulse of what is happening around us all the time. We expect that same kind of connectivity when we get behind the wheel and Hyundai is making that happen. Now you can connect your phone to the car through Apple Car Play or Android Auto for a personalized driving experience while charging said phone on the Qi wireless-charging pad while zipping around town.
- Advanced connectivity features: Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, SiriusXM and HD Radio
- Seven-inch color LCD display includes AM/FM/MP3 touchscreen audio, auxiliary inputs, and rear view monitor.
- Available floating-design eight-inch touchscreen navigation display that includes next-generation Blue Link, traffic flow, and incident data via HD radio, and Infinity premium audio with eight speakers, including a subwoofer and Clari-Fi music-restoration technology.
- Heads-Up Display (HUD) projects information, like speed, directions, cruise control and safety warnings, onto a transparent panel mounted behind the instrument panel.
- Qi wireless-charging
- Blue Link LTE-powered connectivity offers tech like Remote Start with Climate Control, Remote Door Lock/Unlock, Car Finder, Roadside Assistance, and Stolen Vehicle Recovery. Access Blue Link from a smartphone app, Amazon Alexa, smartwatch app and more.
Keep Mom Happy By Driving A Car Packed With Safety Features
Mention buying a sports car to your mom and she may try to talk you out of it. She got you this far in life and knowing that you want to drive around in a small sports car may just add more grey hairs to her head. Ease her mind and let her know that Hyundai has seriously upped the safety game with the end-goal of keeping her precious pumpkin safe and sound behind the wheel. The main features include:
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist: uses the car’s front-facing camera to detect an imminent collision and avoid impact or minimize damage by braking autonomously
- Lane Keeping Assist: prevents accidental lane departure by helping to steer the vehicle
- High Beam Assist: automatically controls the high beam headlights by dimming and illuminating them automatically as needed with approaching traffic
- Driver Attention Warning: monitors driver-related signals to determine if the driver is tired and in need of a break.
- Blind-Spot Collision Warning: detects approaching cars for the back that may be hidden from view
- Rear Cross Traffic Collision Warning: detects when another car has entered the reverse path of the Veloster.
- Smart Cruise Control: Keeps the car at a safe distance from other cars on the road when using cruise control
- Rearview Camera: Let’s you see behind the car as you are in reverse.
Dad Always Said Color Doesn’t Drive It, But It Sure Makes It More Fun!
The new Veloster is available in
- Ultra Black
- Chalk White
- Sonic Silver
- Thunder Gray
- Sunset Orange
- Racing Red
- Space Gray
I’m convinced if you are going to drive an eye-catching car you need to dress it in an eye-popping outfit. The Sunset Orange or Space Gray are bold and quirky choices and certainly memorable.
The interior choices include cloth, a cloth/leather combination or an all leather option. The Ultimate trim package has the option of color coordinating trim in the interior of the car as well.
What We Listened To In The Hyundai Veloster
A great sports car demands a great playlist; this is what got our adrenaline pumping in sync with the Veloster:
Thank you to Hyundai for inviting me to their Hyundai Veloster Drive Event. All opinions are my own.