Sure, the open road is freeing, but there’s nothing quite like a rocky, muddy trail calling your name.
Ford gets it — and Ford wants you to get out of your comfort zone and get off road.
The American automotive brand has really been setting the bar lately when it comes to classics, both old and new. There’s the electric Ford F-150 Lightning and the Mustang Mach-E. There’s the Maverick compact truck and the refreshed Bronco. Anywhere you turn, you can’t go wrong.
Now, Ford is adding two new members to its off road lineup: the 2022 Ford Expedition, and the special edition Ford Bronco Raptor. We still don’t have many details for either model, but it’s okay to whet your appetite on the teasers — we won’t judge.
Ford Expedition Timberline: Off-Roading For Families
Ford’s full-size SUV, the Expedition, has a dedicated fanbase around the world that’s only going to get larger. This new Expedition comes with a whole new trim series called Timberline which is designed with adventure in mind. This is a great option for anyone cross-shopping an Expedition with a Jeep Wagoneer but find the current trims a little lacking.
The new Expedition Timberline series will include:
- Best-in-class underbody protection and power
- Better ground clearance, torque, and horsepower than the Jeep Wagoneer
- A 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine that makes 440 horsepower and 510 lb-ft torque
- Towing capacity of 9,300 pounds
- Bolder, more rugged styling around the LED head and tail laps, grille, accents, and wheels
- An optional Stealth Edition Performance package that has 85 more horsepower and 106 more lb-ft torque than the Chevrolet Tahoe
- All of Ford’s advanced tech and safety features, including an infotainment screen up to 15.5 inches
We’ll have more details on this car as we have them, but essentially, this is going to be the kind of vehicle you want if you like towing the boat to the lake for a little off-road camping adventure with the kids.
Ford Bronco Raptor: An Intense Off Road Ride
If you’re the kind of person who looked the Bronco Sport and felt like it just wouldn’t cut it for the kind of off-roading you do, then the Bronco Raptor might be right up your alley.
We have even fewer details on the Bronco Raptor than we do on the Expedition Timberline, most of which are encompassed in the video embedded above and really only involves looks.
But the Raptor line of Ford’s vehicles are great at conquering rock and dirt trails at high speed and looking impressive even with a firm coating of grime.
We can assume that the Bronco Raptor will use the same engine as the Ford F-150 Raptor, the 3-liter EcoBoost V6 that makes 450 horsepower, but we can’t say for certain. All we know is, this car is going to be fun.