Driving the 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe on long road trips will assure a Jeep wave or two!
My mom, grandson, and I set out on a 6-hour (one-way) road trip from Texas to Central Kansas with optimistic feelings that our time together would be memorable and perfect. Multigenerational travel is a great way to bring generations closer together by enjoying new destinations and experiences together …and that’s what we did.
As I was driving, all I could think about was how lucky I was to be driving this good-looking Jeep Wrangler 4xe. When you’re traveling with an elderly person and an 11-year-old, you need to make sure the ride is comfortable and fun. The Jeep did not disappoint in either. To my amazement, our time together blended effortlessly, and special memories were made, and I would give anything to drive this Jeep one more time!
Our road trip was long, but a success, and honestly, the Wrangler was a huge part of that success. Where else can you get 80 years of experience taking on road trips? Jeep, that’s where!
Related: Is This the Ultimate Jeep? Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 Adds HEMI Muscle to This Off-Road Master
What Makes This Jeep Special
The Wrangler 4xe’s plug-in hybrid powertrain is capable of 21 miles of nearly silent, zero-emission electric-only propulsion, making it commuter-friendly as an all-electric daily driver without range anxiety and the most-capable and eco-friendly Jeep vehicle off-road – combined with the open-air freedom that only Jeep Wrangler offers.
The Wrangler 4xe hybrid powertrain has three modes of operation, known as E Selec. The driver can select the desired powertrain mode via buttons mounted on the instrument panel, to the left of the steering wheel. Regardless of the mode selected, the Wrangler 4xe operates as hybrid once the battery nears its minimum state of charge.
- Hybrid: The default mode blends torque from the 2.0-liter engine and electric motor. In this mode, the powertrain will use battery power first, then add in propulsion from the 2.0-liter turbocharged I-4 when the battery reaches a minimum state of charge
- Electric: The powertrain operates on zero-emission electric power only until the battery reaches the minimum charge or the driver requests more torque (such as wide-open throttle), which engages the 2.0-liter engine
- eSave: Prioritizes propulsion from the 2.0-liter engine, saving the battery charge for later use, such as EV off-roading or urban areas where internal combustion propulsion is restricted. The driver can also choose between Battery Save and Battery Charge during eSave via the Hybrid Electric Pages in the Uconnect monitor.
I’m sure many Jeep lovers love the off-roading aspect. We stuck to the main roads on this trip. Although I could have when we visited the old historical castle you see in this story, but I think I would have scared my mom! I would love to experience this feature some other time.
Inside The 4xe You’ll Find What You Expect From Jeep
The ultimate Jeep of all Jeeps is right here. I’m in love with this vehicle from inside to out. I love the feel it has inside, my family loved it. Each of us had a favorite feature inside the car. My son’s was the outlets so that he could plug in his electronic. My mom’s was the A/C with automatic temperature control, so she never got too cold.
My favorite feature, I have to say, was the convenience of being in the driver’s seat; everything I needed was in proximity of my hand. If I had to choose a second and third favorite, it would be the roominess and how safe we all felt in this Jeep.
Related: Jeep Gladiator: Let’s Go Off-Roading
More Comfortable Than You Can Imagine
I was worried my 82-year-old mom wouldn’t be comfortable on the long road trip, but she was. The ride was smooth, and although the Jeep is equipped with off-road tires, there were no bumpity-bumps to feel. She even hopped in the passenger seat like a pro and never complained. My son was completely oblivious to anything going on around him. He had his Nintendo game plugged in, he owned the backseat like a champ, and he was set for the long haul. The Jeep Wrangler suited us so much, and the color ain’t bad either. I really want this Jeep for all time!
Hybrid EV Mode Option
I had no idea what to expect about a plug in hybrid. I was a little intimidated when I found out I was getting a vehicle with this option. However, it was easy-peasy! Everything I needed came with the car. All you need to do is insert the AC plug into a regular outlet in your garage or wherever you have one outside. No need to have a charging station at home. Then take the charger and insert into the charging area on the car. See the video. Charge it for 6-8 hours, and you’re good to go 25 miles. To be honest, it wasn’t worth it to me to charge for that long only to go 25 miles, so I never used it.
What The 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Costs
Here’s the juicy part of this vehicle that you’ll want to know.
- Base price of the 4xe: $51,695
- Firecracker red: $245
- Leather-trimmed, bucket seats: $1,695
- Cold weather group (heated front seats and remote-start system): $995
- Trailer tow and heavy-duty electrical group*: $795
- ParkSense rear park assist system: $995
- Advanced Safety group: $795
- Steel front and rear bumper: $1,745
- All-weather floor mats by Mopar: $165
- Remote keyless entry: $645
- Price of the 2021 Jeep Wranger 4xe I drove with $1,495 destination charge: $61,265
Specs You Need To Know
- 370 Horsepower
- 8-Speed Automatic 8P75PH PHEV Transmission
- 20.5 MPG
- 6-8 hours charging time
- 470 lb-ft of torque
- 2.0L 14 DOHC DI Turbo PHEV Engine
- Drive modes:
- For the 4xe, I’d include any features that help off-roading
- Four USB ports
- Annual fuel costs: $1,700
- Soft Top
Who Is The Jeep Wrangler 4xe For?
- Small families who love adventures, including off-roading
- The sustainable driver/adventurer
- Anyone who loves to have a good time
- Singles who love a head turn and the “wave”
- Jeep lovers
- Anyone who loves to drive with the top off
What I Loved About This Jeep Wrangler
- I’m a color red girl – so I loved the Firecracker red
- Drive options
- Easy to plug in EV mode
- Seamless transition from electric to gas and vice versa
- A nice luxury ride and feel. I loved that my 82-year-old mother was comfortable in the passenger seat on our whole trip!
- I also loved my grandson was perfectly happy in the backseat – thanks goodness for the plugin back there!
For The Musically-Minded
Music helps the time go by faster on long road trips, and who doesn’t like to sing along? While you may not have the same taste in tunes as I do, the music was a huge part of our road trip, and it helped us all to relax and enjoy the ride – yes, even my mom. Take advantage of the sound system with the playlist of folk and pop I put together for our drive, or choose your own.