Sporty Spice meets Posh with a dash of Ginger.
And that is the essence of luxury: Stay true to you and what you love, what makes you feel good and what shows that to the rest of the world. Audi gets this: the S4 is a powerful turbocharged V6, 349 HP sports sedan; the model we drove had a quilted leather interior, Audi’s graphically superior Virtual Cockpit and a flat-bottomed perforated leather steering wheel that is simply powerful in your hands. A sweet, gentle facelift for the 2020 model gave the S4 a distinct new new look with more performance and technology.
I hopped inside the 2020 Audi S4 3.0-liter TFSI V6 recently in Palm Springs and got a glimpse of what’s new inside and out. (TFSI is Audi’s term for turbo injection; this optimizes power from your engine for fuel efficiency and fewer emissions.) You know how a great car makes you feel: empowered behind the wheel. It is all about the little things and Audi respects your lifestyle with those extra details.
What We Loved
- That steering wheel! The flat bottom, typical of performance cars, and perforated leather made me want to hold on all day
- The phone box: wireless charging, Bluetooth Apple CarPlay/Android Auto connection and when your phone is in the box, your signal is tethered to the car’s rooftop antenna for better reception
- The visually vibrant and easy to read Virtual Cockpit graphics make this system a stunner
- Customizable apps on the infotainment center can be moved around to my liking
- Custom climate controls and ventilated seating can be saved preferences for a better daily drive
- The premium leather seats with designer handbag details
- Ample USB charging ports for everyone and enough cupholders so no one spills their drinks when you’re taking on the road’s curves and hills
- This cars hugs the curves so you can anticipate the turns ahead
- Pack your bags and take the carry-on, too, if you’d like. It’s got tons of cargo space!
With All the Right Angles, You Can Hug Curves and Look Good Doing It, Too.
Walking around the exterior, you’ll notice the gem-cut precision on the body from the hood along the doors and towards the back. The 2020 Audi S4 transformed from its previous sharp aesthetics to an angular, broader, and a sportier bit of luxury on the go. Look at those larger air intakes on the front bumper and the chrome quad exhaust tips on the rear: they literally ooze power. You can easily spot that this car is ready for speed.
The honeycomb grille reminds you that yes, you’re the Queen Bee, so let the aluminum trim and details turn heads. With the 19” wheels and red brake calipers, iconic is an understatement. And if you’re taking those curves fast, you’ll need to stop on a dime especially on tempting mountain roads. Almost every piece of sheet metal is new, too. To emphasize the new road-gripping width of the S4 Audi aded a new chrome strip. With the trunk lid lip spoiler hinting to pack your bags, you’ll dare to take this adventurous car on trips with great spirit to match.
When you’re thinking about safety for yourself and the ones you take along for the ride, lighting is important to see things clearly. The standard Premium trim LED headlights have a unique daytime running light signature and at the top-end Prestige trim, you can get the matrix-design LED headlights for extra nighttime clarity.
What the Audi S4 Costs
The 2020 Audi S4 comes in 3 trim levels with the V6 engine standard at all levels. From there here’s hot it breaks down:
- Premium TFSI model, with leather seats, standard MMI infotainment interface, quattro all-wheel drive and power front seats, starts at $49,900
- Premium Plus with Tiptronic (a manual option using paddle shifters or the gear selector to change gears) adds the Virtual Cockpit, Audi Phone Box, parking sensors and rear cross-traffic alert, and starts at $52,400
- The Prestige level adds driver assistance features, top-down view camera, navigation, traffic sign reader, Bang & Olufsen premium sound system and ambient interior lighting, starts at $58,300
- Add quilted Nappa leather, $1,000
- Add sport package with red brake calipers and adaptive damping, $2,500
- Price of the model we tested, about $62,845, including delivery charge of $995
Manage Life from the Audi S4 Cockpit
In the driver’s seat you want everything at your fingertips while sitting pretty behind all of that horsepower. The diamond-stitched S sport seats with massage (!!!) and power side bolsters are as comfortable as they are gorgeous. Put your hands on the flat-bottom steering wheel and you’re in control. You’re perfectly seated with a great view of what’s ahead, the virtual cockpit graphic display lets you customize key information and the MMI infotainment center is ideally positioned so you can see it well, too.
I loved the eye for detail with those brushed aluminum inlays. It breaks up the black interior while adding a clear, clean-cut style. It’s like your car accessorized for the drive occasion. Oh, and don’t forget to position your cute driving shoes accordingly with the stainless steel pedal caps.
On the 10.1” or premium 12.3” infotainment display with a higher screen resolution, Audi offers connection packages powered by Verizon’s network. This way you or your passengers can work online while you’re on the road. (Bonus: there is ample charging for everyone!) You can also connect with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto on Audi’s interactive media system. And the Audi phone box connects smartphones via Bluetooth, and wirelessly charges your phone and brings your phone signal in through the car’s antenna for a stronger signal. The S4 is so fancy that you can even speak both commands and questions to personalize the driving experience.
If you prefer to keep your head looking forward and don’t want to mind the infotainment screen for directions, that’s not a problem. The digital display allows you to anticipate the road ahead on your trip while minding the speed limit, even offering turn-by-turn navigation instructions.
For music– which you need on any great drive!– I loved the Bang & Olufsen sound system. It performed well with a variety of music from rock, pop, dance, and hip hop. I was impressed; designed for the Audi S4 cabin, it made for a truly customized driving experience.
All of which enhances the drive experience of this 349 HP turbocharged car. Tap the accelerator and you go–or better, put it in sport mode and go just a bit quicker. Or try out the Tiptronic system: Shift through the gears using paddle shifters or with the gear shifter. And the car responds; the steering and suspension gives you complete confidence and allows for easy maneuvering.
Keep Your Family Safe, Style and with Plenty of Space
The safety features in here get a thumbs up from me to keep your family safe. From the top view camera system, rear cross-traffic assist, side assist, and adaptive cruise control with traffic jam assist to name a few, it allows you to relax and enjoy the ride with the ability to course-correct and plan ahead of situations.
While the advanced driver assistance systems have your family’s safety in mind, the trunk’s cargo space is ample for enough luggage, groceries, gear, and more. And legroom in the back seat? You’ll have enough room to install a car seat and not feel feet kicking you while you drive. Comfortably, you can seat 4, but 5 if you’ve got someone who will fit perfectly in the back middle seat. Life’s all about the little things and whether you’re a child or adult, the ambient LED interior lighting plus is sure to excite your world. It added a colorful personalization to the drive at least for me!
Will You Take These Rings? Four to be Exact…
Before you put a ring on it and drive away in a 2020 Audi S4, take a test drive and see why I enjoyed the new body, aluminum details, a helpful infotainment system, digital display, comfy added touches, and the space you need on the go. Its Sporty Spice in its performance, Posh in its luxury, and feisty like Ginger with the perfect combo of technology and styling.
So tell me what you want, what you really, really want? I want it all and that’s what you get in the Audi S4.
Disclosure: I was a guest of Audi for this test drive; travel and accommodations were provided. All opinions are true and honest.