The 2019 KIA Sorento SXL AWD has a 3rd row that you can actually use.
We love 3 row SUVs. They are roomy, can haul everything from multiple kids to yard sale finds we can’t live without to all the outdoor gear we might need. While we love 3 row SUV for their hauling capabilities, sometimes we are a little disappointed that the 3rd row isn’t as comfortable or provides nearly enough leg room as we may like. That all changes with the 2019 KIA Sorento SXL AWD.
Who This Car Is For
- Large families
- Carpooling moms or dads
- Active families
- Drivers who need or want a 3rd row seat they can actually use
- Families who spend a lot of time in the car
- Families who like room to have some extra elbow room
What This Car Costs
The 2019 KIA Sorento is available in 6 trim levels ranging in price from $25,990 to $44,690 plus additional add-ons.
- L trim includes 7″ touch-screen display, Apple Car Play, Android Auto, rear camera display, Bluetooth connectivity, a full range of safety features. Starts at $25,990.
- LX trim includes the above plus blind spot collision warning, rear cross traffic collision warning, USB charger ports. Starts at $27,490.
- LX V6 trim includes 10-way power driver seat, dual-zone automatic temperature control w/ auto de-fog system, V6 engine. Starts at $31,290.
- EX V6 trim includes park distance warning-reverse, smart cruise control with stop and go, forward collision avoidance with pedestrian detection, forward collision warning, lane departure warning, lane keep assist, driver attention warning. Starts at $35,590.
- SX trim includes LED map and room lights, integrated second-row window sunshades, premium leather gear shift knob, wireless phone charger, park distance warning-forward, panoramic sunroof with power sunshade, Harman Kardon 10-speaker surround sound audio. Starts $39,990
- SX Limited trim includes Automatic Rain Sensing Windshield Wipers, LED headlights, high and low beam assist, surround view monitor, premium Nappa leather seat trim, ventilated front seats, heated second-row seats, heated steering wheel. Starts at $44,690
- Price of the SX Limited edition that we test drove: $48,020, which included cross bars pano roof, $225, cargo net, $50, cargo cover, $150, cargo tray 7 passenger, $115.
Oh, For The Love Of A 3 Row SUV With Leg Room
Let’s just start with one of our very favorite things on the KIA Sorento – the 3rd row! For adults, climbing into the 3rd row may be a bit challenging, but once there you’ll find you actually have some leg room. Amazing, right? We are completely in love with this feature. We’re not saying we’d be comfy for a 12-hour road trip in the 3rd row, but its perfect for around town. Younger kids and teens will absolutely love sitting in the third row. It, quite honestly, could become their own little domain with enough room not to annoy their siblings.
If you don’t need the 3rd row it easily folds down to provide even more storage space for whatever life throws at you. We love having the option to haul more friends or more shopping bags.
For The Love Of Shopping
Some shopping is mundane and boring…like going to the grocery store. Other shopping, boutique, thrift or flea markets, is a lot more fun. The one thing they both have in common is the need for good storage space and easy access. The KIA Sorento delivers on both. A cargo net (an extra $50) keeps groceries and liquid libations from rolling around in the back of the SUV while the cargo cover ($150 option) keeps your best finds away from prying eyes.
It’s The Little Things In Life That Help Keep It Real
The KIA Sorento SXL AWD that we test drove came fully loaded. It had all the bells and whistles that you could ever want or imagine on a vehicle. The SXL was designed with your complete comfort in mind, has loads of tech and, of course, a complete and thorough line up of safety features. We love it all, but it is the simple things on the KIA that really made this SUV stand out.
The second row built in sunshades made us happy. Many of us remember days of trying to block sun rays from blinding our children by using any means necessary including blankets shut in the car door or the suction cup sunshades to stick to the windows. KIA eliminates that from ever being a problem by installing sunshades that store in the door and easily pull up and clip to the top of the window trim. Genius!
Heated AND ventilated front seats are perfect for all seasons. We love keeping our bums warm on cold winter days but especially love the ventilated seats that keep us from looking like a hot mess on hot days.
A heated leather-wrapped steering wheel feels great in our hands and, lets admit, the leather is a great accessory to an otherwise boring part of the car.
The panoramic sunroof lets us feel the sun on our skin without having to worry about the wind messing up our hair. We love how the back seat passengers get to enjoy the sunroof as well.
A Little Tech Talk
We absolutely adore a car that is loaded with tech. The KIA kept our inner geek completely happy during our drive. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto provided instant smartphone integration with the car. A wireless phone charger kept us juiced up so we could simply grab our phones and go once we arrived at our destination. Phones that aren’t wireless charging compatible have plenty of USB and 12-volt options plus there is a 110-volt power inverter.
The UVO eServices w/ voice-command navigation system with an 8″ color touch-screen display that includes SiriusXM Traffic and HD Radio is the nerve center of the Sorento. SiriusXM Traffic relays real-time highway information which eases the pain from always running late. The information gets us to where we are going without, hopefully, any traffic jams.
The Surround View Monitor system shows the SUV from a birds-eye view by showing images from four cameras. This makes parking in small spaces, parking garages or even parallel parking a breeze.
Safety Features That Keep Your Loved Ones Safe and Sound
The KIA packed as many safety features as possible into their SXL trim edition. Including, but not limited to:
- High beam assist
- Low beam assist
- Park Distance Warning – Forward and Reverse
- Blind spot collision warning
- Smart cruise control with stop and go
- Forward collision avoidance with pedestrian detection
- Lane departure warning
- Lane keep assist
- Drive attention warning
- Vehicle Stability Management
- Electronic Stability Control
- Traction Control System
- Brake Assist System
- Hill Start Assist Control
What We Loved
- 3rd-row seats that can are big enough for adults and plenty roomy for kids
- Panoramic sunroof that lets the sunshine in
- Wireless phone charging station
- Multiple USB and 12-volt outlets
- A 110-volt inverter for phone charging plus its perfect for tailgating (yo, plugin that crock pot)
- Cargo net that keeps items from rolling around
- Harmon Kardon premium audio to listen to the best tunes
- Heated leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Ventilated front seats–a life saver on melting hot days
What You Need To Know
- Seats 7 in a pinch, but 6 comfortably
- Big SUV, but the surround view monitor makes parking easy
- Average fuel economy at 21 mpg.
- Platinum Graphite exterior color is gorgeous
- Nappa leather seat trim will never go out of style, classy all the way
What We Listened to in the 2019 KIA Sorento SXL AWD
Disclosure: The 2019 KIA Sorento SXL AWD was provided for this test drive. All opinions are my own.